This Is For Lovers Running Away

Let's keep this short'n'sweet. I'm Jess, and this is my pop culture blog. Feel free to contribute. All spammer comments end up in the bin. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Visual Songs

Does it happen to you that certain songs evoke images - or even movies - in you? And I'm not talking images of the artist on stage or anything, I mean proper images and movies that are merely results of your imagination. Probably something nobody else sees when listening to that song. I listen to a lot of music, but not every song has this effect on me.

One song that does this to me is 'I'll Stand By You' by the Pretenders. A bloody good song! I've had it in my head a lot recently. What I see when I listen to this song is somebody (a woman) standing by her man no matter what, and her telling him that she will stay no matter what. They stand next to each other, and it's like the most meaningful gesture ever. The thing is the images are not that positive, it's more like a fight against something overwhelming and menacing, and her gesture is one of insanity in a way because she has to face something awfully big, and she know she will be washed away, but she remains there, no matter what. I guess it would be like two people standing, facing a deadly wave, but it's just a metaphor.

The image is positive in a sense, because he won't face the wave alone, they will be united in their togetherness. No matter what will happen, they will not be alone. In a way, they are stronger than the wave because they won't let go.
The sad thing is that the struggle is hopeless, the wave will come no matter what.

In any case, enjoy the song, only hosted for a limited amount of time. :) And if you feel like it, you can tell me what you see.

Pretenders - I'll Stand By You

4 Comments:

Blogger Mushster said...

I do have that with some songs too. Most of the time it's the same every time I hear something but with this one today ...

I see her standing by him but he doesn't appreciate it and pushes her away time after time.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

What are your visual songs then? :)

I had a look at the full lyrics, the line 'nothing you confess could make me love you less' really fits to your movie, so I think that would work. :) Not that it matters if it would, because those movies are ours, and nobody can take them away. :D

Sorry if I'm not making any sense, just got up. lol

9:59 AM  
Blogger Mushster said...

Hmm ok a couple of my visual songs are:

Dr Hook ~ I'm gonna Love You A Little Bit More

Dido ~ White Flag

and Creed ~ Six Feet From The Edge

I won't go into the visuals though lol.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

cool :D

we can go into the visuals later lol

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home